Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Sleepless in Salt Lake


Well as many of you know Jason and I have officially screwed Carter up. They say no matter what you do you screw your first kid up and we did! He is a special little boy who...DOESN'T SLEEP AT NIGHT! He gets up 3 or 4 times a night and he is 11 months old! Everyone I know who has a baby they sleep through the night at like 4 months or earlier. My sister Jenny just had a baby and she has been sleeping through the night since like 3 weeks old! Curses....curses to you all! Well needless to say I am a tired little momma. I finally got sick of it and decided enough is enough and I started letting him cry. I gave it a couple days and the crying became shorter and shorter. Just as I thought we were making some fabulous progress Carter got sick. His first real sickness by the way. He has been throwing up for 3 days now and blowing out of his diapers! It's bad and he's the saddest sight I've ever seen. So we are back to our terrible nights, sleeping with mom and dad, and nursing 2-3 times during the night! I give up! :) By the way Jason took this picture at 3 AM!

7 comments:

Ally said...

Shanny, don't feel too bad. Savannah is getting up 3 times a night still! She is 7 1/2 months old and I see no end in sight! Love you! Allyson

Jen said...

Don't give up!!! You were making progress and this is just a little set back! He will get better and then you can start the process again! I promise you he will learn if you stick with it! I thought the same thing after Brylie stop sleeping through the night at 8 months after doing it since she was 5 months old! But if you are tough Carter will learn and you will have peaceful nights or at least only one waking instead of 3-4. If it makes you feel any better my other assistant cheer coach has an 20 month old and she doesn't sleep through the night. Sometimes kids have their own time table. I think if you are strong Carter will learn! We are all here for you and we all understand!

Jason said...

Glad to see its not just us, sorry Ally!

Kallye said...

First of all, I totally love getting your updates!!! It is so nice to see how you are doing! Isaac(now 9 months old) just went through the night without eating two days ago! He is still getting up but I am able to get him back to sleep without breastfeeding him...for now! I totally feel your pain because I was not expecting this, Lily slept through the night at 10 weeks!!! They are all so different!

Jenny said...

Shannon i want to correct you Brynlee has been sleeping through the night well untill 5 o clock at least, oh about a week after she came home from the hospital. he he.... Yeah know i just know how to make them sleep??? Jk
It is all so different for every kid, you are doing a great job and I love that you are so patient. Your pretty nice even though you don't get much sleep. So i'm so proud of you more proud of you because you did all you did when mom was here with a little infant. YOur as tough as nails. love Jenny

Callie said...

You know, I'm going to be selfish and say I'm glad we're not the only ones! Aiden gets up every night...and he's two. It's bad enough with a new born, you'd think the other two would sleep okay by now, but no. I don't mean this to discourage, but it really will get better. One night he'll sleep right through and you'll wake up suddenly in a panic, thinking "Is he okay!?" Plus, having a sick baby is rough, for everyone. I understand how that feels, knowing there's not a whole lot to do for them...just lots of TLC and patience!

Sami said...

I feel your pain. Graci likes to party about 4 times a night. The thing that really stinks is that she is so stinkin cute at night. Good luck and let me know if you find something that works.