Saturday, January 24, 2009

It Happened...

One of my worst fears...happened. Last Saturday we were having a lovely rather peaceful day. Jason was outside cleaning the garage and I was cleaning the house. Carter was playing upstairs in my bedroom where I was vacuuming. All of a sudden Carter is screaming this horrible scream. I ran over to him laying on the floor beside our bed (a huge king bed that I just got days before for my birthday...curse that new bed). I picked him up and immediatley knew something was wrong. He kept pointing to his ankle with a sharp shrilling scream anytime it got touched or he moved it. We threw ourselves in the car and headed to the hospital. Carter almost immediatley fell asleep, which is never a good sign. We got to the ER and the doctor said this happens all the time and 90% of the time nothing is actually broken. They took xrays then the doctor came in and said..."did anyone actually see what happened" Like we were some neglectful parents or something...which I already feel awful about not being able to somehow prevent it!!! Then he said "why don't you come look at these xrays" Immediatley I burst into tears. Well Long story short... CARTER BROKE HIS LEG!!! He has a spiral break in the tibia on his left leg, so the break spirals about half way up his leg. It has been absolutely awful! To see your child be in so much pain and not be able to take it away is the worst feeling in the whole world. Between Carter and I there have been lots of tears this last week. But we are getting better now. Carter got his permanent cast on a couple days ago and we only have to have it on for 4 weeks! Yeah! We taught him how to crawl yesterday and we are stil working on getting up enough courage to try to walk. He's doing so good though and we are so proud of him! Can't wait till this is all over and he is back to his happy self!
















This is right after we got home from the hospital...not a happy boy.














We've been having sleepovers in Carter's room...a very tired mommy and daddy!














The king's thrown...breakfast in bed please'

Nothing stops me from practicing my shot!














On our way to get our cast! Yeah!














Being wheeled around Primary Children's Hospital in my wagon mommy made for me!














Carter did so well. Thank goodness for bribing treats! Got us through the ER and the casting!














Brave boy!












Let's go home!
It's done!













Carter is starting to play and move around again now, which has brought me to tears! I will never take for granted his lively little spirit. I love him so much and can't believe the pain I feel when he is in pain. Even though this has been such a difficult experience, especially with a brand new baby, we know things could have been a lot worse so we are grateful for that. There will be an end to this and not everyone gets an end to their pain or their childs pain. I am grateful for 2 healthy babies that I get to raise! I love you Carter.

12 comments:

The Oldroyd's said...

Oh I heard about that. That is aweful. I always worry about those kinds of things too. But it looks like he is handling it well.

Jen said...

Poor Carter! Brylie has been very lucky! She has taken many a falls! I can't believe it was a spiral break! That is the worst kind to heal! Poor kiddo. That will be a good story for the future! You are a great mom! Kids have accidents so don't feel bad at all. He probably would have broken it even if you had been standing there. I'm glad he has his cast on and things are getting back to normal. Good luck with the healing. If you need anything just call me!

Alix Hart said...

That is so sad! He'll look back and think it was all so cool that he was a super hero jumping to fight the bad guy and got an awesome war wound with cool cast to go along with it. Good thing kids are so resilient!

Phillips Family said...

That kind of stinks...ah well, now he is more like a pirate...just give him a patch, a hook, and some kind of sword, and he is ready to limp around saying ARRRRR!! Just kidding. Hope he feels better soon.

Unknown said...

Wow, I am so sorry to hear about that... little kids are pretty resiliant so I hope he gets better soon! I am HAPPY to hear you had tyour baby! She is gorgeous and has so much hair! I laughed pretty hard at the target story only because that is how I feel everyday... Hallee always takes her shoes and socks off in the car so then when we actually get there I have to put them back on and it can be so frustrating... I have leaned to plan to be 30 minutes early for everything and that way I will actually only be 5 min late! :)

Callie said...

Sorry you both had to go through that, I know what it's like. All you want to do is hold them and make them feel better. I'm so glad that he's feeling better, and that the cast doesn't have to be on very long. You're such a good mommy for your little ones!

Mary Millward said...

Oh my word I am so so sorry! That is so tough. You guys look like you are handeling it very well.

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

poor baby boy! I love that he is rockin' a RED cast, though. It sounds like it is perfect to go with his personality!

btw, Matt is going to crack up when he hears that Carter's breakfast in bed included a grapefruit...That is one kid with some pretty sophisticated taste!:)

Jenny said...

poor little baby, he is quite the little trooper though huh. He has been such a good boy considering....Love you casrter no more jumping on mommies bed one fell off and broke his head mommy called the doctor and the doctor said no more monkeys jumping on the bed.ha

Anonymous said...

Poor baby to both you and Carter. He is really a superhero under that two year old and he will heal lightning fast and be back up jumping in no time. Love you Carter

Tina said...

Poor little guy.... that is so sad and so scary. I'm glad he is ok considering...So what happened I guess I didn't catch it... what fell on his leg?

jones family said...

Oh sorry to hear about Carter that sucks, our little Karter fell off our bed right on the top of his head last weekend and it is a mothers worst fear.. everything was fine but man it made my heart stop